Sunday 10 June 2012

Part 13: Injured


The idea behind this blog was that I’d write a weekly update on my progress in learning the guitar. It would be an account of my experiences and hopefully provide inspiration for other beginner guitarists. This lasted for about 2 months. For the last month I have written sporadically, if at all. For the last 2 weeks I have hardly picked up the guitar.

I was playing 5-a-side – the solitary moment of fitness in my life. I hadn’t played for a year and was frustrated that I was slower, less fit and less skilful than I had been a year ago. I was pleased to go in goal, so my more able and fitter work colleagues could take to the pitch. The ball was on the edge of the area and the opposition’s best player lined up a shot at my goal. He hit it to my left and hit it hard. With poor goalkeeping technique, I stuck out my left arm and the ball hit me on my gloveless left hand. I blocked the shot and denied the goal but this achievement was instantly replaced by a horrible pain in my left hand and wrist. The power of the shot had damaged my left hand – as soon as it happened I let out a ‘fuck’ to acknowledge the pain and the knowledge that this would affect my guitar playing. Over 2 weeks later, as I type this, my left wrist still hurts and I am still wearing a wrist support.

When I got home that evening I tried playing the guitar to evaluate the damage. I had up until that point I had almost mastered the classic Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash.  The pain in my hand as I tried to strum the famous opening riff told me that I wouldn’t be playing the guitar for a while. It took a few days of ice and Ibroprofen before I had full movement again. After 2 weeks I started playing again, fed up of waiting more than anything. The pain in my wrist as I played was almost matched by the pain in my fingertips – a fortnight without playing plus swimming in the sea on a short Egypt holiday had destroyed the hard built callouses on my fingers.  I started by playing notes, then chords. After a weekend of practise, barre chords are still well out of the picture – I still don’t have the strength in my thumb to push against the back of the guitar.

I’m playing again, which I ‘m happy with. Perhaps even better still, I’m writing about it again. The setback has been annoying and frustrating though and I doubt if I’ll ever play 5-a-side again. One of the few things I’ve ever wanted to do with my life is play a musical instrument, specifically the guitar. I want to be Mick Jones, John Squire, Graham Coxon, or Brian May – the reality that this will never happen is very clear, however that doesn’t stop the dream of the possibility of it happening.

In the last few weeks my love of The Clash has grown massively. I like Mick Jones because of his skill but also because of his present day charm. The below video of him play Should I Stay or Should I Go at his Rock and Roll Public Library is beautiful. Best of all he is playing my favourite looking guitar – a Fender Telecaster in sunburst with a white pick guard – just like my Encore rip-off version. I watched the excellent documentary Westway to the World with great fascination and what struck me the most was how the band members regretted blowing it all away when they were at their peak – a similar sadness that I associate with the Italia 90 and Euro 96 English football teams. 

I don’t want to regret never leaning the guitar. Which is why I’ll continue to fight through the pain and keep playing….

VIDEO: Mick Jones performing Should I Stay or Should I Go at his Rock n Roll Public Library exhibition


No comments:

Post a Comment